All Saints’ Day
November 05, 2021
In worship on Sunday, we will observe All Saints’ Day. This is often set aside as a Catholic thing, but the Methodist Church has a strong tradition of observing the day. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, loved and celebrated All Saints’ Day and invited followers to join in. He admonished early Methodists to give thanks for those who have gone before us in the faith. These would be the “communion of Saints,” as the Apostles’ Creed names them. Hebrews 12 names them as the “great cloud of witnesses” that surrounds us, encouraging and cheering us on. We remember the saints and martyrs we never met, and we remember those we knew intimately in our lives.
At St. Mark’s, we have the tradition of observing All Saints’ Day with sound and image—the sound of the choir processing to “For All The Saints,” played boldly on the organ. The tinkling of the bells on the banner as it moves to the front. The images of the candles being lit as each name is read. The white banner and streamers. All of these add together to a moving remembrance of those from the church who have died in this last year as well as those you have named and placed on the bell banner.
Whether or not you come to worship in person this weekend, I encourage you to spend some time thinking about those who have made you who you are today. Give thanks for the people of faith who have gone before and left a legacy for us to cherish.
Join us as we remember.
See you soon.
(Please note, masks are required during all services as well as inside all St. Mark’s buildings.)
Join us for worship:
- 8:30 a.m. Traditional service with choirs in Sanctuary and child care in Rm 15
- 10 a.m. Modern worship service with Praise Team in Fellowship Hall
- 10 a.m. Traditional service with choirs in Sanctuary
- 10 a.m. Youth and children’s Sunday School and child care
- 10 a.m. Pre-recorded worship premieres on YouTube and Website
Three ways to access our pre-recorded service:
- From the main menu on our website click “Worship.”
- Go to YouTube and search for UMC St. Mark’s Oro Valley or use this link.
- The YouTube link will also be shared on Facebook St. Mark’s UMC Tucson or use this link.