Ascension Sunday | Graduation Sunday
May 19, 2023
in Pastor's Weekly Message
My kid got into the car yesterday, practically dancing. “My finals are over today!” Earlier, a few extra minutes were spent in bed, marveling, “In just a few hours I’ll be done with this school year!”
The joy in our household is nothing compared to the joy for those who are graduating. It’s been fun to see photos of our seniors as they prepare to receive their diplomas. For them, this final week means the end of a season of their lives. No more high school or college or whatever they are graduating from. This time symbolizes the end of one thing and the beginning of the next. It’s big!
I wonder when you last spent a few extra minutes marveling over what the day would hold? When did you greet the day dancing? I don’t know about you, but I really should do it more often!
Sunday we will celebrate our graduates. We will pray over them and send them out into the big world, hopefully dancing. We send them off and celebrate this transition time in their lives. Change can be exciting!
Sunday we will also observe Ascension Sunday. After His resurrection, Jesus didn’t stay on earth forever. Instead, He was taken up to Heaven, promising the Holy Spirit to come. We remember this day as we read Scripture, pray for the world around us, and trust in the knowledge that Jesus is with us always.
See you on Sunday, as you dance into a new day in the love of God who created us!
- 8:30 a.m. Traditional service in Sanctuary and child care in Rm 15
- 10 a.m. Traditional service in Sanctuary and child care in Rm 15
- 10 a.m. Youth and children’s Sunday School and child care (except fifth Sundays)
- 10 a.m. Livestream premieres on YouTube and Website
To access our livestream service:
- From the main menu on our website click “Worship.” -OR-
- Go to YouTube and search for UMC St. Mark’s Oro Valley or use this link.