Covenant Renewal Service
December 30, 2022
“1785. Saturday, January 1. Whether this be the last or no, may it be the best year of my life!
Sunday, 2. A larger number of people were present this evening at the renewal of our covenant with God than was ever seen before on the occasion.”
-John Wesley’s Journal
John Wesley began the year 1785 in London, marking the new beginning with a celebration of the “Covenant Renewal Service” that many within the Methodist tradition still celebrate at the beginning of the year.
Though dating back to Wesley’s time, for some the Covenant Renewal is a new experience. This service centers around a prayer of submission and hope: submission to God in Christ, that we would be amenable to however God wants to use us in this world, and hope that God’s good will will be made manifest for the greater good. We will be integrating the covenant prayer as a part of worship our first Sunday this new year (Jan. 1). Join us for worship as we reaffirm our commitment to Christ, celebrate Communion together, and begin the new year centered in our faith!
See you Sunday!
- 8:30 a.m. Traditional service in Sanctuary and child care in Rm 15
- 10 a.m. Traditional service in Sanctuary and child care in Rm 15
- 10 a.m. Youth and children’s Sunday School and child care (except fifth Sundays)
- 10 a.m. Livestream premieres on YouTube and Website
To access our livestream service:
- From the main menu on our website click “Worship.” -OR-
- Go to YouTube and search for UMC St. Mark’s Oro Valley or use this link.