Keeping Your Vows
October 08, 2021
Have you ever thought of your membership vows to the church? If you’re like me, the answer is no. I joined the church after my Confirmation class in seventh grade. I stood before First United Methodist Church of Madison, Florida, and agreed to everything the pastor said. I was coached earlier as to what I was saying and what my affirmation meant. I had intentionally waited a year longer than my peers and made the commitment to church membership on my time schedule, when I was ready to join.
I’m not sure that I really thought about that commitment since then. Sure, I did all I could to live my faith. I joined youth group, went on mission trips, joined (and later led) study groups. I invited my friends and I showed up. I knew this is what it meant to be a faithful person because this is what was modeled for me. This is what my church invited me to. In reality, I was actually living out my faith by living out my membership vows.
If you’re like me, you’ve not really thought about what it means to “uphold the church with your prayers, presence, gifts, service, and witness.” Witness was added after I joined the church way back when, by the way. But from what I’ve seen at St. Mark’s, you’ve been doing it. You have prayed, showed up, given, served, and invited. These are the things we do as Christians. It’s what we do when we are members of something that makes an impact in the world.
The next five weeks in worship will focus on these membership vows, beginning with prayer. We approach each week knowing that these are practices of faith that you already know about, you already practice. But we will also invite you to be intentional about thinking of these membership vows. They are practices of faith that will sustain the church, will help you grow as a Christian, and will change the world for Christ. Join us, won’t you?
See you soon,
NEW WORSHIP SCHEDULE
Join us for worship at our new times:
- 8:30 a.m. Traditional service with choirs in Sanctuary and child care in Rm 15
- 10 a.m. Modern worship service with Praise Team in Fellowship Hall
- 10 a.m. Traditional service with choirs in Sanctuary
- 10 a.m. Youth and children’s Sunday School and child care
- 10 a.m. Pre-recorded worship premieres on YouTube and Website
Three ways to access our pre-recorded service:
- From the main menu on our website click “Worship.”
- Go to YouTube and search for UMC St. Mark’s Oro Valley or use this link.
- The YouTube link will also be shared on Facebook St. Mark’s UMC Tucson or use this link.